Gainesville GA consular processing lawyer

Home /  Gainesville GA consular processing lawyer

Gainesville, GA, has a vibrant community of immigrants spanning many generations. However, the immigration process for non-citizens can be scary, especially ifthey are applying to come to Gainesville from their country of origin. If you or a loved one is pursuing an immigration pathway that involves going through the Consulate, a Gainesville GA consular processing lawyer from Holden Law Firm can provide you with the legal support you need.

Giovanna Holden, an experienced immigration lawyer, has been serving non-citizens and their loved ones in Georgia for years. By working with Holden Law Firm, you can get the legal counsel you need to optimize your consular processing times and stay updated and informed about key milestones in your visa application journey.

Consular Processing for Non-Citizens Moving to Gainesville, GA

Consular processing is the process that non-citizens must go through when applying for an immigrant visa with United States Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS). This occurs after they have received an approved petition from a family member or employer when applying from abroad.

If they are located in the US, they will undergo an adjustment of status. After a visa number becomes available, those who live abroad are required to submit paperwork through a consulate or embassy in the country where they are located in order to get their green card and come to live in the United States.

What Does Consular Processing Involve?

If you or a loved one is looking to move to Gainesville, Georgia, from abroad and live as a permanent lawful resident, otherwise known as a green card holder, you will first need to determine which green cards you may be eligible for. This can depend on certain familial relationships, as well as your skills, education, and professional experience. Different visa types have varying priorities, meaning that the wait times will be significantly less for first-priority versus fourth-priority visas.

Based on the selected green card, you will need to have an employer or family member submit an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, or I-140, Petition for Alien Worker, on your behalf with USCIS..

After Your Petition Is Approved

After waiting for USCIS to process your petition, you will receive a notification about whether it has been rejected or approved. If the petition is approved and you have applied for your immigration visa from outside of the United States, USCIS will send your application to the National Visa Center (NVC), where it will stay until a visa number becomes available for your application. For certain kinds of visas, such as first priority immediate family-based green cards, there is an unlimited number of visas available each year and no waiting period. Other categories have many a wait of many years.

More documentation will need to be filed and fees must be paid with the NVC in order to continue with visa processing. When a visa becomes available, the applicant must submit several documents, complete a DS-260, and pay the visa fees. The NVC will then schedule an interview for the applicant with the consulate.

During the interview at the consulate, the Consular Officer will review all supporting documents for your case, including criminal history checks, marriage certificates, and medical records, to determine whether you are eligible to receive a green card.

If they approve your case, they will give you a “visa packet,” which must not be opened and should be handed directly to the US Customs and Border Patrol Officer upon arriving in the US. Then, your green card will be processed and sent to your registered address of residence. An experienced immigration lawyer from Holden Law Firm can help you get the documents you are entitled to in a timely manner.

How Can I Check My Case Processing?

Visa Applications are managed in an online web portal called the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC), where you can access your case. In the portal, you can see whether your case is at the National Visa Center or if it has been transferred to the consulate or embassy in the region where you applied.

Using CEAC, applicants can also view who the visa applicants are on the case, as well as the sponsor and any outstanding documentation or fees that must be paid. A Gainesville consular processing lawyer from Holden Law Firm can help you determine what step your case is at and help you avoid and handle any delays or confusion so that the process goes as smoothly as possible.

Can My Lawyer Contact the National Visa Center for Me?

If you are concerned that there is an error in your case, that you have been waiting too long for processing, or that you need to update critical information in your application, an immigration lawyer can do this for you by contacting the relevant entities processing your case, such as the National Visa Center.

There are key status changes that must be communicated to the NVC, including if an applicant is turning 21, if there is a change in marital status, and if there is an address change. A Gainesville consular processing lawyer from Holden Law Firm can help you understand if it is necessary to contact NVC or another government entity and communicate on your behalf in order to protect your rights and optimize the visa application process.

Optimize Your Visa Application Process From Abroad

The legal team at Holden Law Firm is aware of the difficulties that come with applying for work-based and family-based immigration visas through consulates in other countries. We know how long this can take, depending on the priority of the visa. If you or a loved one is applying for a green card to live and work in Gainesville from abroad, a skilled lawyer from our firm can guide you through each step of the process. Contact us today to get started.


Solicitar una Consultation

Los campos marcados con un “*” son obligatorios

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.