Gainesville, GA Consular Processing Lawyer

Home /  English Home /  Practice areas /  Gainesville, GA Consular Processing Lawyer

Gainesville, GA has a dynamic immigrant community that spans many generations. However, for non-citizens, the immigration process can be scary, especially if they are applying to come to Gainesville from their home country. If you or a loved one is pursuing an immigration pathway that involves appearing at the consulate, a Gainesville, GA consular processing attorney from the Holden Law Firm can provide you with the legal support you need.

Giovanna Holden, an experienced immigration attorney, has served non-citizens and their loved ones in Georgia for years. By working with Holden Law Firm, you can get the legal advice you need to optimize the duration of consular processing and stay up to date and informed about important developments in your visa application.

Consular Processing For Non-Citizens Moving To Gainesville, GA

Consular processing is the process that non-citizens must follow to apply for an immigrant visa before the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement Services (USCIS). This occurs after receiving an approved petition from a family member or employer when applying from abroad.

If they are in the US, they will undergo adjustment of status . Once a visa number is available, people living abroad must present the corresponding documentation to the consulate or embassy of the country where they reside to obtain their green card ( officially known as a permanent resident card). , and come to live in the United States.

What does the consular process consist of?

If you or a loved one is considering moving to Gainesville, Georgia from abroad and living as a legal permanent resident, also known as a green card holder, you will first need to determine what type of green card you may be eligible for.

This may depend on certain family relationships, as well as your skills, education, and professional experience. Different visa types have different priorities, which means that the waiting time will be significantly shorter for first priority visas than for fourth priority visas.

Depending on the type of green card selected, you will need an employer or family member to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, or I-140 Petition for Foreign Worker on your behalf with USCIS.

Once your request is approved

After you wait for USCIS to process your petition, you will receive a notification about whether it has been denied or approved. If the petition is approved and you have applied for your immigration visa outside of the United States, USCIS will send your application to the National Visa Center (NVC), where it will remain until a visa number is available for you. your request. For certain visa types, such as first priority green cards for immediate family members, there are an unlimited number of visas available each year and there is no waiting period. Other categories have many years to wait.

Additional documentation and fees will need to be submitted to the NVC in order to continue with the visa process. When a visa becomes available, the applicant must submit several documents, complete Form DS-260, and pay the visa fees. The NVC will then schedule an interview for the applicant with the consulate.

During the consulate interview, the consular officer will review all supporting documents for your case, including criminal background checks, marriage certificates, and medical records to determine if you are eligible to receive your green card .

If they approve your case, they will give you a “visa packet,” which should not be opened, and should be given directly to the U.S. Customs or Border Patrol agent upon arrival in the United States. Your green card will then be processed and sent to your registered address. An experienced immigration attorney at Holden Law Firm can help you obtain the documents to which you are entitled in a timely manner.

How can I check the status of my case?

Visa applications are handled on an online web portal called the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC), where you can access your case. In this portal, you can verify if your case is at the National Visa Center or if it has been transferred to the consulate or embassy of the region where you processed the application.

By using the CEAC, applicants can also verify who the visa applicants in the case are, as well as the sponsor and any outstanding documentation or fees that need to be paid. A Gainesville consular processing attorney at the Holden Law Firm can help you determine what stage your case is in and avoid and manage any delays or confusion so that the process goes as smoothly as possible.

Can my attorney contact the National Visa Center for me?

If you are concerned that there is an error in your case, that you waited too long for processing, or that you need to update important information in your application, an immigration attorney can do this for you by contacting the relevant entities processing your case, such as the Center National Visa.

There are important status changes that must be reported to the NVC, including if an applicant turns 21 years of age, if there is a change in marital or domicile status. A Holden Law Firm consular processing attorney can help you understand whether it is necessary to contact the NVC or another government entity and communicate on its behalf to protect your rights and streamline the visa application process.

Optimize the process of applying for your visa from abroad

The legal team at Holden Law Firm is aware of the difficulties that arise when applying for immigration visas for work and family reasons through consulates in other countries. We know how long it may take depending on the priority of the visa. If you or a loved one is applying for a green card to live and work in Gainesville from abroad, a knowledgeable attorney from our firm can guide you through every step of the process. Contact us today to get started on your case.


Solicitar una Consultation

Los campos marcados con un “*” son obligatorios

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.